Barley, Beans & Veggie Soup
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup pearl barley
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups bone broth
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can sugar-free diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (19-ounce) can mixed beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large soup pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add barley, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, turmeric and curry powder and sauté for about 6-8 minutes.
- Add salt, black pepper and broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered for about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and again bring to a boil.
- Simmer, covered for about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutritional Information per Serving:
Saturated Fat: 1.1g
Dietary Fiber: 6.6g