Quinoa Salad with Collard and Pinto Beans
Folate 400 µg 100%
Serving size: 2 to 3
Preparation time: 5 to 6 hours
Cooking time: 2 hours
- ½ cup pinto beans (rinsed and soaked for 5 hours)
- ¼ lb collard green (center ribs removed)
- ¼ lb asparagus (remove hard stem and chopped to 1 inch pieces)
- ½ cup quinoa
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- ½ cup chopped leeks
- Salt as needed
- Black pepper as needed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Italian salad dressing
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil
- 4 cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg (hard boiled)
- Take beans in a large pan and add about 3 to 4 cups of water. Add cinnamon stick, garlic, bay leaf and salt. Bring to boil then simmer for about 1 ½ hours or until the beans are tender but not mushy. Drain out the excessive water if any and set the beans in a colander.
- Now for the quinoa; take quinoa and 1 cup of water in a pan, bring to boil then simmer for 10 minutes until the quinoa is done.
- Take additional water in a pan and add asparagus. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes but don’t over cook. Let it be a bit crisp on bite.
- Slice collard green leaves and add to quinoa, beans, asparagus, leeks, bell pepper, almonds, basil, olive oil and cherry tomatoes. Add lemon juice and Italian dressing and season with salt and black pepper. Toss well to coat.
- Chop egg and atop the salad. Take out in a serving dish and enjoy.