Rice Pudding with Cheesy Zucchini Bites
Serving size: 2
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 to 30 minutes
For rice pudding:
- ½ cup rice (rinsed and soaked)
- 3 cups milk (non-fat and calcium fortified)
- 2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground green cardamom
- 14 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 carrot (peeled and finely grated)
- ¼ cup crushed almonds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
For zucchini bites:
- 1 zucchini (thinly sliced)
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella (non-fat)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- Salt as needed
- Black pepper as needed
- Preheat oven at 300 degrees.
- Take soaked rice in a pan with almost 2 cups of water and bring to boil. Cook for about 10 to 12 minutes until the rice is tender and mushy. Add more water if needed.
- Take out the rice in a colander and set aside to get rid of any excessive water.
- In the meanwhile; heat milk in a saucepan and add cardamom, chia seeds, cinnamon, honey and half of almonds. Bring to boil then simmer for about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add boiled rice and carrot in the milk and again bring to boil then simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Take out in a serving bowl and garnish with reserved almonds. Serve chilled.
- Now for the zucchini bites; place mozzarella cheese on the top of every slice then roll properly to seal the cheese within. Season with salt and black pepper. Secure with toothpick if needed. Repeat the same procedure with rest of the slices.
- Place the stuffed zucchini in a baking dish and atop with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the zucchini is golden brown.